Monday, January 01, 2007

welcome, double oh seven

It's been seven years since my first New Year's celebration apart from my family. My classmates and I had a slumber party at a friend's place, made roast chicken (these were my pre-vegetarian days) and carrot halwa and waited, as the clock ticked by, for Y2K to make the world explode. I was fifteen.

It's been six years since I sat on a terrace in Bandra with my best friends in the world, watching for the sunrise -- in the wrong direction.

It's been four years since I spent New Years crying in the corner of a large party because of a boy.

I spent this evening drinking rum with my grandfather, and slurping gelato on Carter Road with a friend. It's been great. Quiet, but great. And I'm extremely happy to say that it's been ten years, at the very least, since I brought in the New Year watching a telly special.

Now for 2007. How have all of you let the year in?

7 comments:

  1. i'm planning on completely missing the start of 2007 by writing or reading or sleeping through it. huzzah for indifference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)) oh dear! well, I wasn't watching telly for sure! we're currently running away from a cyclone in the southern Indian Ocean :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymouse10:47 am

    Worked as usual. Not seen a new year on TV for ~ 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm... first time here...u realyy write well....sometime distance just go away when u think of nearone on a speacial moment.... happy new year....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2007 Ros!!
    Here's to a greeat great year ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  6. great great year....
    and I spent my eve in London which was cold and wet but still terrible fun....and I drank seven glasses of Moet and Chandon :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah you were struck by the moody blues on a New Year's eve as well.
    Anyway, when are we meeting?

    ReplyDelete