Friday, October 20, 2006

carpe diwali

I wasn't planning on a celebration until I woke up ten minutes before I was due to leave home this morning, picked out my most shapeless clothes, missed meetings and was generally pointless and underproductive. I thought I was having a bad day. Then I remembered that I spent last Diwali in hospital with a needle jammed into my hand, looking out of my window at the coloured lights in the buildings across, unable to so much as walk outside.

And I thought, damn it all. I need some reassurance. I'm going to be ritualistic if it kills me. So I'm off early today to buy diyas and flowers and a salwar and kurtas. Flatmate #2 and I will at least attempt to fill the kitchen with something other than strategically-placed fungal growths and unused crockery.

Happy Diwali! Seize the day. Especially if you're away from family and unsure, like me, if you're going to be able to carry on the tradition with any success at making it mean something. Smell the til oil in the burning lamps and cultivate the glow. Light is a good thing to celebrate.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:34 pm

    Happy Diwali.

    I shall think of you as I light the candles in the bathroom which serve in lieu of a functional light.

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:01 am

    Happy Deepavali to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Diwali to you too! Hope your attempts are successful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:33 am

    Happy Diwali! Let there be Colorful Light :)

    Sirielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:16 am

    "Light is a good thing to celebrate."

    absolutely. the best thing. couldn't agree with u more...

    hope u found 'family' away from family and had a beautiful festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. S, where's the next post? Do write. Do write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And many good wishes to all of you, too. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete