Wednesday, October 04, 2006

bubble much?

Oftimes the fact that I live most of my life in the Internet and in my head makes me forget stuff. This seems to be the only way I can explain how I discovered this thing I will talk of only today. Do you know how many countries in Asia have anti-discriminatory laws protecting their LGBT populations? That is to ask, how many Asian countries do not actively or otherwise participate in the oppression of sexual minorities?

Three.

South Korea, Japan and Israel. The world's biggest continent. Three small countries.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:52 am

    Good point. But it's even worse. Israel isn't in Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Turkey is 98% in Asia and they have anti-discriminatory laws protecting their LGBT populations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know - I think there are some reports that state that they did it under pressure for EU membership?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:07 pm

    Israel IS in Asia! Anyway, that is besides the point ...

    Point to note: Iran happens to be one of the few countries in the world where you can legally change your gender and then change your birth certificate to reflect your new identity. Just goes to show what strange we live in.

    ReplyDelete