Friday, March 24, 2006

here at the end of all things.

A short while ago I returned to my copy of the Lord of the Rings to re-read the bit about the Paths of the Dead and the moment when Aragorn unfurls Arwen's standard to call the ghosts to arms. It turned out a little differently from the way I remembered it - I thought All Was Revealed in that scene, but it so happens that no one can see the emblem of Numenor in the dark. It's days later, when the dudes from Rohan look up and see the Corsair ships, when they think they're going to die glorious and very * dead * deaths, until Eomer notices that the black flag is actually set with gems that catch the sunlight and reveal the White Tree. It's a very posh moment. I remember reading it for the first time and heaving a sigh of relief, before flipping feverishly to see what was up at Mount Doom. Even on successive readings of Tolkien, when you're caught up in the thick of battle, knowing that Good Will Triumph becomes merely objective. I inevitably have to sweat out the small stuff, the moments of anguish and terror and doubt before I finally get to the eagles.



I'll be offline tomorrow, but here's wishing everyone a very happy March 25th, better known as Overthrowing Sauron Day to those from or around Middle-earth.

Two art links to celebrate the day: the art of Jenny Dolfen, a very talented artist who does fabulous fantasy art. Most of her Tolkien stuff is Silmarillion-inspired, but drool-worthy even if you haven't the foggiest about who the Feanorians are. Her GRR Martin stuff is also high and excellent (I'm currently using this one as my desktop background.)

And this is the work of London's wonder, the graffiti artist Banksy. I had the good fortune to be educated about the life and opinions of this subversive and sometimes shocking gentleman a while ago by a native, but I rediscovered his site and its remarkableness today and found it mostly, if not entirely appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me to wear my cloak and miss my sword tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did we get to see that moment in the movie? I don't think we did. I love how this book gets fogged down in details, those are the funnest parts.

    ReplyDelete