Monday, March 20, 2006

have a meme, dammit.

It's been a long day. It's not like every other post here is not about me.

# Were you named after anyone? Coming late as I did to the evolved human race, yes, I was named after many, many people. However, I named myself after a German nun for the purposes of this blog, and you can read about her here.

# Do you wish on stars? You can't see stars in Bombay. It may seem like a good reason to respond to this question with a 'no', but honestly it's just because I think it's stupid.

# When did you cry last? Recently, of PMS.

# Do you like your handwriting? Crazy about it.

# What is your favourite meat? Ew ew ew ew. (Fish, as I'm a pescatarian.)

# What is your most embarrasing CD on your shelf? Ah, I get it. A nineties meme. * smiles patronisingly and whirs through iPod* I have 'Rock Tha Party' by the Bombay Rockers, because it used to play all the time in the gym. I don't know why anyone, upon hearing the words 'There a parteh goin' on/and they're playin' your favourite song/so girl get your ass on the floor' would get up and do so. I don't.

# If you were another person, would YOU be friends with You? Only if I was, like, really cool, and took the same classes.

# Are you a daredevil? More like a plodder.

# How do you release anger? I cry. BUCKETS.

# Where is your second home? And each town looks the same to me, the movies and the factories, and every stranger's face I see, reminds me that I long to be. (This is such excellent songwriting.)

# Do you trust others easily? You can't trust others in Bombay. Also, it would be stupid.

# What was your favourite toy as a child? I read books as a child, just as I do now. Clearly I am a woman of singular passions.

# What class in school/college do you think is totally useless? LET ME HEAR NO ONE DISS ACADEMICS.

# Do you use sarcasm a lot? Would I ever?

# Have you ever been in a mosh pit? Oh, uproarious laughter and dimly-remembered innocence! But of course I have!

# What do you look for in a guy/girl? Complete devotion and a measure of pleasing unsuitability.

# Would you bungee jump? Would I eat the last gulab jamun?

# Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? I hope my mum's not reading this. I never do.

# What’s your favourite ice-cream? Roasted almond, from Gokul in Santacruz.

# What are your favourite colours? Red, of course.

# What are your least favourite things? Snakes and fascism.

# How many people do you have a crush on now? Oh, an excellent question to segue into a short description of my weekend. I watched Pride and Prejudice, but I also watched 'Casanova' < insert fervid babble re: the attractiveness of Heath Ledger > and found it a charming little diversion that I would not at all be averse to watching again during a mid-week crisis of boredom. And I read a fabulous, obscure little novel by Barbara Trapido, 'Brother of the More Famous Jack', a melancholy, hysterical story with a happy ending, which has kept me going all through today. It is full of fabulous writing and beautiful little moments and a love interest who answers my maiden fantasies trait for trait.

# Who do you miss the most right now? * quotes In My Life, a sad, sweet work of minor brilliance by the Beatles for the benefit of absent friends *

# What are you listening to right now? Road Trippin', by RHCP. This song made not the tiniest stir on the surface of my consciousness when it came out. I might have lived life out without knowing I knew of its existence until it played as I was shopping in Westside (yes Virginia, there is a Westside in Hyderabad) and I stood transfixed and came into office, pinched it off a friend and listened to it sixteen times in a row.

# If you were a crayon, what colour would you be? Oh, for fuck's sake.

# What is the weather like right now? It's bloody boiling. We're marching straight into the furnaces of the cruelest month.

# Last person you talked to on the phone? My mum.

# The “first” thing you notice about the opposite sex? That they are not, in fact, correspondent with my maiden fantasies.

# How do you like the person who sent you this? Aw, he's a darling, is Mithun.

# How are you today? Good, actually. Really, really good, thanks.

# Favourite non-alcoholic drink? Am I really so different from the average human being that every time I do a meme, I have to bring up the exceptional fact that I do not drink enough alcohol for it to count significantly in such tottings-up? Wait, don't answer that. It's orange juice.

# Favourite alcoholic drink? Rum, of course. Vodka is terrible. I'm sure Catherine the Great never drank it.

# Natural hair colour? Verily, I haue ye tresses of ravenne-blacke.

# Eye colour? Bloodshot.

# Wear contacts? Nah. Glasses are way sexier. Not that I need them yet.

# Siblings? I doubt they'd have survived this far if I ever did have any.

# Favourite months? And what profound truth would this reveal about me? Would not having one disqualify me from the great class of memeing beings forever?

# Favourite food? Maggi with cheese. And gulab jamun. And banana chips. And OJ.

# Favourite day of the year? EVERYDAY IS ROSWITHA'S FAVOURITE DAY, CREEPING UNDERLING.

# Have you ever been too shy to ask someone out? I am a bit of a shy violet. I can never bring myself to imagine the asking-out being a success in the first place. And then, what if the date is not a success? What if the relationship doesn't work out? What if he turns out to be the critical, negative influence that I intend to be? What will we name the children? Won't someone think of the children?

# Scary movies or happy endings? I quote the previous memer, dear Mithun: This is a stupid question and I'm getting bored.

# Summer or Winter? The monsoons, naturally.

# Holi or Diwali? Wow, an excuse to rub up uninvited against other people's bits versus an excuse to rid the world of its auditory senses. I'll take Vishu, thanks.

# Do you like your name? Love my name. I'm predictable.

# What book/magazine are you reading? currently flipping through P and P once again. And RAVE.

# What’s on your mouse pad? Once again, I find Mithun's words worthy of perpetration: Dont have one, If I did I'd have a mouse on it.

# What did you watch on T.V last night? Last night I went to Dosa Plaza, ate a scrumptious mysore masala D, talked with my flatmate about our lives, and thought of three short stories I want to write someday. Choke on your own uncoolness and die, meme.

# Favourite smell? A loved one's hair, freshly washed.

# Have you ever regretted breaking up with someone? Oh no. I've been lucky enough to break up with people I don't regret, and regret is hardly my share of the hardship when it comes to people who have broken up with me.

# Most tiresome thing you’ve ever experienced/done? I stay away from tiresome things unless there's a proft motive, which gives me no right to complain, I feel.

9 comments:

  1. I lived in Bombay most of my life and trust me, rosted almond and the butter scotch Gokul ice cream is not something one can forget easily. *sigh* now you've got me all hungry for ice cream and nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time on your blog...

    Honestly I wouldn't have had the patience to go through this list if it wasn't for your sense of sarcasm and humor. :-)

    Btw that question about what color crayon you would be is soemthing I have been subjected to during an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rhcp has some amazing no.s. Ppl generally write them off as having nonsensical lyrics. But to a great extent their lyrics do make sense, of course you really have to do some hunting arnd to find meanings!

    More sadly, People are not aware of the funkier sound of the old RHCP. I guess I shall write a blog soon abt some of their songs that arent heard of much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh boy am pmsing too...:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, you dazzle at memes....:D
    I'm sooooooo bored. i'm wondering if i should come to hyd on the good friday weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. you no listen to RHCP road trippin till you reach Hyd. Very bad, very very bad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snakes and Fascism? You mean together? Like a Fascist snake charmer? OK all right, my bad joke for the day is done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ panacea: It's quite a memory to have, that roasted almond ice-cream. Followed up by the vastly disparate Tender Coconut because you just can't resist. Sigh.

    @ sinusoidally: Hi! I find that sarcasm makes life pass along tolerably. What did you say to your interviewers, I'm curious? Did you say you were more of a bottle of poster paint, perhaps?

    @ golu: RHCP is a fun band, I agree, although Anthony Kiedis does not exactly rule my world. Four years ago I did not know what 'RHCP' meant, though. Do you remember that Livewire - I think it was 2003? - when some band played 'Give It Away' and much fun was had? Were you hanging out with Baddy, or was I? Because I remember Baddy singing along to 'what I got you gotta give it to yer mamma', which was amusing to me.

    @ mayacassis: Hope it's over and done with. Although this now does mean three weeks of no excuse to hate the world.

    @ kate: Call me and let us squee about this plan!

    @ imhunt: I know. I'm so uncool it's cool.

    @ kraz: Yeah, yeah, alright. So it is MAGRAJ. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think i likes your meme so much, I shall flicks it to my blog

    ReplyDelete