Wednesday, January 11, 2006

a very serious post about the state of the world today.

You can now read my frivolous thoughts on Jane Austen here!

Now, on to the feriouffe enquirie conferninge the ftatef of beinge and nofingneffe, af eftablishede in queftionef fortie-twoe:

1. My uncle once: Did something interesting, but I've forgotten what it is.

2. Never in my life have I: Said, "god, I was just born to be an accountant."

3. The one person who can drive me nuts, but then can always manage to make me smile: My roommate, who is probably reading this, in which case you know I'm lying, don't you? You never drive me nuts!

4. High School was: Coma-inducing.

5. When I'm nervous: My knees come unstrung, to use a bewitching phrase of Homer's, although unlike his characters it doesn't mean I give up the ghost (also a Homeric phrase, incidentally.)

6. The last time I cried was: When I was sick and wanted my mummy.

7. If I were to get married right now my bridesmaids/groomsmen would be: The five girls I've grown up with (one of whom is the aforementioned flatmate). Even though it isn't going to be a lavish do or anything, y'understand.

8. I miss: Studying English.

9. My hair: Is falling out in clumps at the moment, thanks to all the post-malaria drugs. I want to cry, but the situation is far beyond despair now. And I was so happy about my short little hairdo a while back.

10. When I was five: The world was a kinder, gentler place. Then my six-year-old self happened to it.

11. Last Christmas I: Think I was at Mood Indigo, but I can't be certain. MI is such an area of darkness.

12. When I turn my head left, I see: My fellow corporate minion's workstation.

13. When I turn my head right, I see: My beautiful sticky-board of postcards from all over Europe, mostly thanks to Emily and Lindsey.

14. The craziest Family Event was: Malayalis don't do crazy family events. They do sober, low-key affairs that require the attention span of a goldfish and a large helping of illegal substances to live through.

15. If I was a character on Friends I'd be: Chandler.

16. By this time next year: I will have inculcated a positive, receptive attitude to life and the world. But don't hold me to it.

17. My favorite Aunt is: Graham Greene's?

18. I have a hard time understanding: Why everyone likes to do these slam-book style memes, anyway. Is it just that much more difficult to talk about oneself in paragraph form?

19. One time at a family gathering: No, every time at a family gathering, I was made to sit down cross-legged and trot out my repertoire of Carnatic pieces. Fuck, I'm glad those days are over. I can actually like Carnatic music now.

20. You know I "like" you if: "Like"? You mean, "like" in the giggly, circumspect way that implies I'm pussyfooting around admitting that I probably have a crush on you? Goodness, I can't remember as far back as the last time I "liked" someone. This meme is really adolescent, isn't it? But well, let's see. I suppose I'll just cling to you like a limpet and make funny crooning noises. I'm not very subtle about these things.

21. If I won an award, the first person(people) I'd thank is: Depending on what I won it for: my mother, my real friends, my virtual friends, or the Beatles.

22. Take my advice: You can pay me for it in installments.

23. My ideal breakfast is: Orange juice, toast and fluffy eggs, with a good dose of mindless gossip on the side (How I miss you, Bombay Times).

24. If you visit my hometown: Don't leave. Take a walk down the crumbling streets, eat some peanuts, and marvel at how many people can fit into seven miniscule islands.

25. If you spend the night at my house: You're cleaning up after yourself.

26. I'd stop my wedding if: The food wasn't up to scratch. What's a pledge to love, honour and obey without a slap-up buffet?

27. The world could do without: Irony. No, wait.

28. I'd rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: Have to regret something I've done. Hang on, is that going to be a live cockroach?

29. My favorite blonde is: the sort that drop-kicks people who make blonde jokes around her.

30. Paper clips are more useful than: Pontificating on the usefulness of paper clips. Unless you're in the Matrix, in which case both would be equally useless. Or am I talking through my hat again?

31. If I do anything well, it's: Just about anything that cannot to be put to practical use in everyday life.

32. And by the way: I broke a record in the office quiz yesterday, and broke that again today. All your base are belong to me.

33. The last time I was high: I wasn't, good god, I don't drink. Not that much, anyway.

34. The animals I would like to see flying besides birds are: Aw, this one sets itself up. PIGS. PIGGIEEEEES!

35. I shouldn't be: Talking about myself so much. Oh, dear. Oh, and I really shouldn't use so many italics, it's very Victorian and bad literary practice.

36. Once, at a bar: Little Roswitha walked in, wide-eyed. And immediately began to cough, choke, have her toes trod on, and so left immediately. And then lived happily ever after. And did not go into a bar again unless it had a non-smoking restaurant attached. Ever. The end.

37. Last night: I read Parallels and Paradoxes: Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said In Conversation. It's fantastic! Oh, and tried to be a supportive, loving best friend.

38. There's this girl I know who: Wouldn't this one sound better if it went, there's a place in your heart:, and then we could all reply, and I know that it is love, something-something much brighter than tom-MO-rrow!.

39. A better name for me would be: Mordecai. I've always wanted to be called Mordecai.

40. If I ever go back to school I'll: Go comatose again, at a guess.

41. Next time I go to church: I'll make sure to tell the Virgin Mary, Jesus Christ and all the blessed saints that I think the Inquisition was a very bad idea.

42. How many days until my birthday? Not too many. Whip out yer credit cards, one and all.


current musix: radiohead - no surprises

11 comments:

  1. I love these memes of yours. they're a lot of fun to read. keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll love Norway! No smoking in any bar, or restaurant for that matter :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're so funny, you make me forget about my sore throat for one teensy second.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:59 am

    Self indulgent claptrap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ kausha: i'm trying, i'm trying. :)

    @ kray: yay on the highest social standards in the world, huh?

    @ kate: oh bebi gel, it's one of my especial pleasures to provoke a laugh out of your sore throat.

    @ anonymouse: you say claptrap like it's a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. > I'd stop my wedding if: The food wasn't up
    > to scratch.

    Aw., I hope you find a husband.. :P (kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ joe steeve: hope away! who knows, i may even want one someday. thanks for the concern. :P

    - are we known to each other?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey sup
    that was good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe! I love these things..

    (BTW, I'm in love with anonymous..anyone who can say claptrap is wicked hot in my book)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ viv: aw baby. when are you going to update?

    @ vik: i don't know about love, but claptrap is an excellent word to use. it ltook a lot of restraint not to make a syphilis-related joke, i can tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. > At 6:44 PM, roswitha said...

    > @ joe steeve: hope away! who knows, i may
    > even want one someday. thanks for the
    > concern. :P
    > - are we known to each other?

    I really dont think so., I guess I landed here because of blog-hopping :P And now change of name because of google.. Damn google. :P

    ReplyDelete