Monday, January 23, 2006

the cherry atop this monday

Naomi Wolf finds God. Yes. I know.

What's really funny about this article is all caught up in the end, in wicked little sentences like, In America, finding God is an acceptable resolution to mid-life crisis; or one of Wolf's BritCrits saying, politely but with teh_biatch turned on full, I have always thought of her as an emotional writer, not an intellectual one.

I'm all for finding a place for spirituality in feminism - there's a lot of space for big new complex thoughts there - but, Naomi? A "holographic vision" of Jesus? Has no one forwarded you the email where staring at a sequence of dots for a long enough time will produce the optical illusion of the divine image (which is nothing but traditional Caucasian iconography, anyway)? Bit tacky.

But my favourite part by far is this. She didn't experience her vision in her own body.

“I was a 13-year-old boy sitting next to him and feeling feelings I’d never felt in my lifetime,” said Wolf. “[Feelings] of a boy being with an older male who he really loves and admires and loves to be in the presence of."


Firstly: Ending your sentences with prepositions is uncool!

Secondly: I leave this observation to write itself while I go doing a squeeing little jig in my head.

I'll probably keep everyone posted, but this spirituality/acadaemia conflict is a large part of Zadie Smith's On Beauty, which I picked up yesterday and only put down because I had to come to work. It is mind-blowing, you people. More when I finish it. In the meanwhile, go Naomi go! We always knew Jesus was a feminist, anyway.

current musix: the benny goodman orchestra.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:55 pm

    My favourite art was:

    Wolf admitted that, during a therapy session to treat writer’s block, she encountered what she described as a holographic image of Jesus.

    Um - writer's block now merits a course of therapy? It's a good job she didn't stub her toe or she might have to be rushed to hospital.

    And is it just me, or does this image seem kind of tacky? Holograms are so 1992, kid.

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, we'd be picking at the counterpane in a home for derelict lady writers if they were going to put the blocked ones in a bloody program! Hahaha, and JRR Tolkien would have been written off as dead. "I'm sorry Professor, but fourteen years to write this - book that you claim to be - I'm not sure that sort of condition has even been diagnosed yet."

    ReplyDelete